Tuesday, March 23, 2010

J's Fair Isle Hoodie: The Design

Okay, it's not much of a design. Just a checker pattern. When I decided on not to use a Noro yarn for the hoodie, I knew that I would have to deal with the jog somehow. I thought that using a checker pattern would hide it well and be easy. I was right. With my calculations, I wound up with an even amount of body stitches, so I knit a 2 by 2 square with each color for 2 rows. Then I knit solid with the purple and threw in green squares every 5 rows three times, and ended with another 2 rows of the checker pattern.

I had originally intended to use B. Walker's Mosaic knitting technique, but I quickly disliked how the pattern was puckering, so I switched to Fair Isle. I will admit that I was trying to avoid this particular color technique, mostly because I think it looks really difficult. Floating colors, the puckering, the complex shapes and designs - I just didn't think that I could do it. However, 2 colors at a time? Hmmm, that didn't seem so hard to me...and it wasn't! Yay! Plus, the dark colors worked really well together, especially for a man's hoodie.

Next time, I am going to use an actual fair isle pattern (an easy one, of course), perhaps in a hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment