Sunday, October 10, 2010

It's not Rocket Science; it's Knitting Science

If you are a regular reader of my blog, you probably know that I love (this word is not an exaggeration) Top-Down Seamless Patterns. In fact, I have been known to buy entire magazines and books because they include ONE pattern that is written this way, and it doesn't even have to be a pattern that I necessarily LIKE. I know. It's a sickness. However, I am satisfied that I can brag and say that I have an AWESOME collection of top down patterns. And this makes me very happy.

As is the case for many, I am sure, I prefer FREE. Let's face it, there are a TON of knitting blogs and websites that offer free patterns: yarn companies, Knitty.com, Whip it, Knitch Magazine, just to name a few. Plus, Ravelry has improved their search function so I can find top down patterns at my leisure in no time at all.

This said, there are also some designers that do charge for their designs. GAH my frugal minds growls, but I can't blame them. It's work: increase here, decrease there, YO here, SSK, K2Tog, P2, K5...and it all has to look good on various shapes and sizes. And top down designers - wow, they take away the stress of seaming too! Priceless.

So in this post, I want to list some of the designers that I personally like and would not mind paying for use of their designs. Not surprisingly, many of them are Top Down designers, and also not surprisingly, I have already splurged on some of their designs.

Coco Knits
C2Knits
French Girl Knits
Knit and Tonic
Brooklyn Tweed
SweaterBabe
RetroKnit (she is a Ravelry designer, so you may have to sign into Ravelry to see her designs).

I'll be adding to this list as I find more and more things that I want to knit, which lately, is about everything. I swear, a week ago, Christmas was 6 months away...

If there is a designer that you absolutely love, please post a comment!

2 comments:

  1. I have RetroKnits Vintage Baby Knits book. I LOVE IT! I have two family babies coming and a close friend so I hope to use it TONS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I just found out that she has a book. I really like the designs in that book :)

    ReplyDelete