Friday, April 17, 2009

Handmaiden, Oh Handmaiden

I am a certified Yarn Snob and shopaholic. I try my best to not spend a lot of money on yarn and I honestly think I have a gauge in my brain telling me that I have enough yarn or that I have already spent enough money on non-essentials because there are weeks (truly!) when I do not have the urge to visit my FLYS, one of my favorite online yarn stores, or Amazon with the intention of purchasing something.

I noticed that I may have a problem when, a few months ago, I reviewed my bank statement and every other purchase listed was from my FLYS. Noting that, I tried to only visit her when I met my knitting group...when I reviewed my statement the following month, every other item listed was from Amazon or an on-line yarn store. Lucky for me, it was a sale month, so everything I bought was on sale...but still.

So I go through these yarn diet spurts where I do not buy yarn. None. nada.

And then...the withdrawal...I see my friends shopping for yarn...and then I feel some of the yarn that they are buying...and then I remember that I haven't visited my online yarn stores for awhile, especially the one that specializes in Handmaiden and Fleece Artist yarns. I go to "just look"....and I wind up with a shopping cart with skeins that I have projects in mind for. I give in... and then I visit WEBS and lo and behold they have a sale on Noro...how can I not buy some at 50% off?? and then I remember that I almost have a full frequent buyer's card from my FLYS, so I go there. I figure the amount I spend in my withdrawal week isn't as much as what I would spend if I spent a little at a time...right?

This thinking allows me to sleep at night, so I go along with it. Besides, I consider it my payment for watching the kids and now the dog all day. Pretty cheap daycare, if you ask me...

No comments:

Post a Comment