Friday, December 25, 2009

I'm a Selfish Knitter

I am a selfish knitter. I am proud to admit it. I don't usually buy yarn from the Big Box stores (unless I need funfur, which is cheaper in those stores), I buy what I want and when I want from my FLYS and from specialty online yarn stores, and I only knit what I want to knit. Rarely do I take requests, unless of course, my standards are met.

At this moment in time, I will knit in either chunky or worsted weight yarn and top down apparel. I won't knit blankets. I'll knit socks occasionally, especially if I can use my massive amounts of handpainted sock yarn. Hats and fingerless mitts are my favorites right now, although I did just finish a few items for my niece's American Girl Doll. These, of course, were top down sweaters in worsted weight.

I spoke to my brother today (who will be ordained as a priest in June 2010). I told him that I will be knitting each of his classmates a beanie. He told me how thoughtful I was to do this. I admitted that I was actually being selfish; I go through my bouts of "needing" to visit my FLYS and "needing" to buy yarn. Deciding to knit each of his classmates a beanie gave me the perfect excuse. He laughed. The sad truth is, I was not kidding.

Being a selfish knitter is not a bad thing. The way I look at it, I get something out of every gift I make and the recipient gets a one of a kind gift. Yay for the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment