Thursday, December 10, 2009

Red Hat

I wanted to make a hat for my friend in Germany. She likes red and I had the perfect yarn - chunky and easy care. It's Christmas time and I have so many WIPs that all I could find was a size 9 cirular needle. I figured that I could just knit loose and the hat would be big enough. I was wrong.

I gave the hat to my son, who now wears it proudly. When he first put it on, he said, "My hat, my red hat!"

Pattern:

CO 70 sts.
Join yarn for knitting in the round.
K3, p2 rib for about an inch.
Follow eyelet pattern for 7 inches from beginning of pattern, then decrease.

Eyelet pattern:
1) *K3, P2* repeat to end of round
2) *K2tog, YO, K1, P2* repeat to end of round
3) *K1, Ktbl, K1, P2* repeat to end of round
Repeat these three rows until length desired. I knit until 7 inches in length from CO edge.

Decrease:
1) *K2tog, P2* repeat until end of round
2) *K2, P2tog* repeat until end of round
3) *K2tog, P1* repeat until end of round
4) K2tog all stitches until end of round

Break yarn, leaving about 2 feet for pulling through remaining stitches and weaving in.

1 comment: