Friday, February 12, 2010

Ewww...but it works

I've been avoiding spit splicing for the obvious reasons. Yuck. Unsanitary. Just plain gross. However, I had to get past my disgust for this joining technique. My current project is a top down shrug from Knitting Pure and Simple and the yarn that I am using is too bulky to do a Russian Join or the Weave-In method. To make the whole knitting experience worse, I was using yarn that I had used for a seamed project...meaning, instead of having whole skeins to work with, I had a couple of skeins in pieces (yet, another reason to never do a project that involves breaking the yarn and seaming!). This also meant that I would have to spit splice more than 3 times (the number of skeins I needed for the project). Gah, as if once wasn't bad enough!

But, I did it...When I had to combine 2 yarn pieces together, I closed my eyes (so to speak), unraveled the ends, frayed them (so they would stick together better - yech), placed one end on the other, put them in my mouth so they were good and moist, pulled them out of my mouth, and rubbed them in between my fingers. Then I placed the union in between my palms and rubbed them some more. After a minute or so of this, holy cow, they were spliced. When I continued knitting, I didn't even notice where the join was.

Now don't get me wrong. I am not a convert. I am just accepting the fact that knitting is not always prim and proper. Hell, I'm not either, so who am I to judge...

No comments:

Post a Comment