Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Why I love my Knitpicks Harmony Interchangeable Needles

I frogged my Slinky Ribs pattern...again. The area where I had to unravel the PCO and attach new yarn to knit the shoulders didn't look right and I thought, there has to be a better way. It came to me in a flash of insight: Use a cable as the waste yarn! Brilliant! Why didn't it occur to me before?

I crocheted a chain of 78 and cast on using the size 4 needle. I then disattached the needles and attached the holders (the purple disks that came with my kit. I never thought I would use them...now I know better). I attached my working needles to another cable and continued knitting. It was more difficult than I thought it would be, because the cable is not as flexible as yarn (duh) so I used a size 00 dpn to help me knit from the row on the cable-only row. After the second row was finished, I pulled out the crocheted chain from the PCO row, leaving the cable to hold the stitches for me. Voila! Now when I am ready to use those stitches, all I have to do is attach needles to the ends (after taking off the disks, of course). I have to say though, that unraveling the crochet chain was a PITA because the yarn I used was acrylic and DK weight. Ugh. Never again!

Seems like a lot of trouble? Maybe, but if makes my seamless knitting easier and prettier, then it's totally worth it. Besides, it's not any more trouble than unraveling the PCO later and placing your needles into the stitches again. My way, no stitches are lost. Yippee for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment