Monday, March 23, 2009

Knit It Like Jang

I just watched a video on using increase/decrease pairs and short rows to shape cables demonstrated by Eunny Jang. It is the coolest thing. First she explains how, by decreasing before the purl channel (she chose SSP), working across the cable, and increasing after the purl channel (using M1 on a purl stitch), you can force a cable to twist diagonally, while keeping the sides perpendicular. By doing this on every RS row, the cable slants at a 45 degree angle. However this angle can be changed by decreasing/increasing either more or less frequently.

She also showed how to curve the cable using short rows. This technique wasn't as clearly explained, as you will see if you are able to view the video. I was very disappointed because although I am familiar with short rows, and have worked them in quite a few of my projects, I have not used them with cables. I love how the cables curve in the sample vest in the video. The technique is both simple and sophisticated. I discovered that the pattern for the vest is in the famous Fall 2007 Interweave Knits issue, an issue that I coveted, stalked the destash pages for, and rewarded with. Happy Day!!

What really impressed me about the video though, is the way Eunny Jang knits! All I see is her fingers gently gliding the yarn back and forth on the tips of her needles. WOW! How does she do that?? Compared to her, my knitting style looks very clumsy indeed. Me, with my self taught continental-ish throwing with my left hand over the right needle. Some have expressed envy with the speed with which I knit, and I guess that is not something I should be ashamed of. But the grace of Eunny Jang's knitting is wondrous to watch.....sigh... Oh to knit like Jang...

No comments:

Post a Comment