Friday, March 13, 2009

Knitting Math

I am so proud of myself. I was actually able to modify the Katje pattern (CocoKnits) from the gauge used in the written pattern, which is 4 sts to one inch to my own personal gauge, which is 5 sts per inch. It took a while, but I am determined to use the Madeline Tosh Worsted yarn that I bought at Stitches for this hoodie. I even bought an extra skein from WEBS just to make sure I have enough.

I used a combination of the Calc-O-Knit, a tape measure, simple division and multiplication, and a handy dandy handwritten chart. Besides measuring my stitch gauge, I measured out my row gauge to be 7 rows per inch. It's good that I checked this because if I hadn't, the hoodie would have been much too short.

Based on all of my calculations, I charted all of my increases (and later, decreases) out. I don't know if I ready to read through Barbara Walker's or Elizabeth Zimmerman's books yet though. The numbers in the CocoKnits pattern helped me with the calculations. At the moment, I am not confident enough to just use my own personal measurements to design a sweater. Probably someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment