Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pottery


Our current Social Studies lessons involve learning about Native Americans. I found a book focused on the Miwok Indians, the group indigenous to our area, here in the valley. I have always found that lessons are always more meaningful if they include some type of activity related to what we are learning, so I found a few art activities online.

I made some clay with baking soda and cornstarch. I added some red food coloring, at the request of my daughter. I showed her to make pottery using the coil method. I gave my son some of the clay too, although he wasn't quite adept at the technique as my daughter was. The clay was flimsy and after about an inch or so, my daughter's cup was starting to sink into itself. Oh well.

Next time, we'll use Sculpey. I know, not exactly the way Native Americans made their vessels, but it's the idea that counts, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment