Sunday, July 25, 2010

Aack! Scary Shaping!

I finished knitting the main body of my Athos top yesterday. The armhole and neck shaping for the back was pretty easy. The only time I had to tink back was when I misread the directions - The line says to decrease one stitch every row for (in my case) 4 rows. Prior to this, I had to bind off 4 stitches for two rows. I mistakenly bound off the stitches (instead of decreasing with SSK and K2tog). I guess binding off is a way to decrease, but I don't think that is what the designer meant. Besides, the line looks nicer when I decrease instead of binding off. I decreased 2 stitches in from the edge, so I have an easier time with seaming (Gawd, did I actually type that??).

The front (which I placed on waste yarn and separated from the back) was more challenging. I got through the neckline with much concentration. Scary scary scary. I wish I could offer some tips, but I have none. You just have to keep track of what you are doing and how many times. Come to think of it, removable stitchmarkers may help you keep track of your rows; however, you have to remember that on each row, you may be doing multiple shaping details. Aack, is right...

I should be done with the front tomorrow. Then on to the sleeves, which I will be knitting separately and setting in. Fun, I can't wait - my very first seamed project...I hope I like it. If I don't, I guess I can turn it into a tank top...

No comments:

Post a Comment