Thursday, July 8, 2010

And we didn't even miss it...


I took my kids and my brother to Historic Sutter Street, in nearby Folsom today. I parked in the garage, took out the stroller, popped my son in it and off we went. Yay for free parking!

Our first stop was the Quilt Museum. I know that doesn't sound too exciting, but I was eager to experience some pioneer fun, knowing the history of the place. The quilts are beautiful; some were more than 150 years old. We spent a good amount of time in the gift shop where I was amused by toys I haven't seen since I was a little kid - paper dolls, tops that spun when you pumped them, marbles that you actually play with and not use for decor. My children had a grand time seeing all of the "new" things that they have never seen before. They each chose a pinwheel as their souvenirs - purple for the little guy and red for my daughter. I remember these sparkly wind toys when I was a little girl and I loved playing with them whenever my mother bought one for me.


Our next stop was the Snook's Ice Cream and Candy Shoppe. The sweet smell of homemade candy hit your nostrils as soon as you walked in the door. I was tempted to buy one of every candy stick, chocolate morsel, and taffy that they had for sale. Prudence overcame the temptation though, and we each had ice cream instead: Cotton Candy for my daughter, Cookie Dough for my brother, Chocolate for my son, and Chocolate Brownie for me.

Next we visited all of the Antique shops there. It was really cool to see all the vintage knick knacks, LPs, books, jewelry, dolls, plates, and even old irons (the kind that you placed on hot coals, instead of plugging in, to use). While I browsed, my children enjoyed watching their pinwheels spin in front of the modern fans used by the storeowners to cool down their shops.

After the last store visit (Antiques and Curiosities), we headed towards the garage to head home...and I realized (2 hours after we got there) that we didn't have our stroller. Heck, I don't remember having it while we were eating ice cream or in any of the shops. Of course, we left it at the Quilt museum, our very first stop. We rushed over there, stepped in the gift shop and there it was, where my son stepped out of it to check out all the things that the store had to offer.

And we didn't even miss it...

No comments:

Post a Comment