Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Fog Willow Farm

Today my son and I joined my daughter at the Fog Willow Science Farm. It is a farm, open to school age children and their parents, where children learn science hands-on. There are different activities depending on the age group. The topics they covered with her class today were Sound, Fossils, and Animals. The following is the Sound Demonstration that my daughter participated in today:

Next, the children had a chance to be paleontologists. There were 9 big bins filled with dirt and several pieces of bone and clay fossils. I doubted that they were real fossils, however, the bones were definitely real. The demonstrator for this exhibit showed the children an example of a real fossil from the Utah Valley. Because it was a fossil of a sea serpent (an eel?), she said it proved that Utah used to be underwater. The last area of the farm that we visited were the farm animals. We saw a baby goat, a duck, a piglet, a turtle.

My daughter's teacher was challenged to carry the piglet around so that the children could pet it. As you can see from the following video, it didn't enjoy this at all!


My son enjoyed wandering around, checking out the goats, bunnies (one of which was just born a few days ago), the sheep, and the other things around the farm. His favorite place there, though was the playground.



I also enjoyed the demonstrations with my children, but my favorite part was spending time with them and seeing my little girl in her own environment with her friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment