Friday, May 14, 2010

Sleep Deprivation and Lace Knitting do not mix

I frogged my Lacy Tee...again. This time, I am adding the side seams, as the pattern was written. No...I am not stubborn, I just thought that I didn't want the seams.

Ridiculous, I thought! Ha! I could just knit the repeat portion of the pattern over and over. Simple...right.

Turns out, there was a reason for the side seams. For some reason the lace pattern didn't look right knit continuously in the round and the stitches were off. Nope, blocking would not have helped it...believe me.

Another reason I frogged it is because I forgot to recalculate the stitches for the sleeves. I realized this AFTER I finished both sleeves and had them attached to the body. Tink it...I was tempted for about half a second, then my mind said, "Go to sleep you moron! It's 2 in the morning!" So I put it away, hoping that it looked wrong because I was half asleep.

So I frogged it this morning, and rewound the yarn back into a big pink variegated cake. I casted on again and added 2 extra stitches for the seams. I intend to purl these stitches, so I know where the sides are. I will call them design elements.

Does this mean that I am going to stop reworking the patterns that I want to knit? Probably not. There will always be patterns that are screaming to be knit in the round and some beg to be knit in one piece. However, in some cases, I should definitely consider the designer's reasons for writing their pattern a certain way. After all, if a lace pattern that is supposed to line up, doesn't, then maybe there is a reason for the way the pattern is written.

Also, I am going to stop knitting my lace projects and put them aside for the next day if I notice myself dozing off...but then again, once I notice that, it will probably be too late. Better late than never, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment