Friday, May 28, 2010

The Knitting Hour


Finally, after weeks of working on my lace tee, it's done. I guess you can say that when I am deterimined to finish something, I find a way. This time, I resorted to staying up until almost 3:00 this morning to do it.

I made some changes to the pattern as written in the June 2010 Knit 'n Style. The first major change was using a DK weight yarn, Rowan Purelife. I loved the color when I saw it (on sale - woohoo!) last year at my FLYS. I really like the slight color variegations in the yarn. It is also organic cotton - perfect for the summer and knits a lot softer than I expected. As expected, it doesn't hide the imperfections (e.g. the changes in tension when I decreased along the raglan shaping and the fake seam stitches). I think that washing and blocking the garment may help with these issues.

The second change was using the waist shaping from the Cap Sleeve Top in the August 2010 Knit 'n Style issue. Believe me, I need all the shaping that I can get. It makes the garment much more flattering.

A third change I made was crocheting 4 rows of SC and slip stitches, instead of just 2, because the neckline didn't look even to me. Plus, I started finishing the top at the upper corner of the front neckline...and cut the yarn in the same place. Needless to say, it didn't look too pretty, so I crocheted the extra rows to hide my oops. It was really late, what can I say?

5 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful. Your knit skills never fail to amaze me

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much. I guess I am good at something ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you explain in detail what you did to alter "the waist shaping from the Cap Sleeve Top in the August 2010 Knit 'n Style issue". Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rita, Do you happen to have the August 2010 issue? If so, instead of starting the waist shaping at 1.5 inches from cast on edge, I knit stockinette stitch 1.5 inches from the end of the lace portion and then started waist shaping (using the directions from the Aug. 2010 K & S issue). Does this help?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not comfortable writing specific instructions from a printed source...copyright issues and all that...

    ReplyDelete