Sunday, January 30, 2011

Baked Apples


Tried to make Baked Apples for dessert today. Coring the apples was a pain. The knife got stuck a few times; I feel lucky that I didn't seriously hurt myself trying to pull it out. I wished that I had bought that apple corer that I saw at the thrift store this morning...Grrrrrr


After I cored them, I filled them with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon (Oh Cinnamon, how I love thee). I anticipated the warm smell of fresh baked goodness and the sweet yet tart yumminess that was to be our dessert.


Alas, it didn't work out too well. The sauce was too watery and my husband complained that it was too tart, probably because the apples weren't cooked long enough. Many comments for the recipe suggested to bake the apples in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes (instead of the 15 that the recipe instructed). They were in there for close to that time and the apples were not close to being soft.



Boo hoo for me, but the kids liked it. This isn't surprising...I think if I give them anything made with butter and brown sugar they will gobble it up.

They made for interesting pictures though. And yes, I bought more apples to try it again. I am a culinary masochist, but at least my kids eat healthy.

1 comment: